Tuesday 12 January 2010

Summertime nostalgia.

I miss summer. I’m very much a summer kind of girl. It’s my season. I wait impatiently for its arrival, am the happiest being in the midst of it, and when it’s all over, I always wonder where did all the time go, as I reminisce about the happy memories.

I love the smell of summer evenings, as I sit on the couch facing an open patio door at dusk, watching the sky as it gradually gets darker, while a gentle breeze runs through my hair, my fingertips. I love spending a lazy afternoon in the back garden, reading a light, summer novel with a glass of lemonade in my hand, hearing the laughter of children next door. I love blasting summer music and dancing around when nobody’s watching. I love watching Wimbledon on television during sunny June, the only sport I enjoy watching, whilst having pimms and strawberries with cream. I love summer sales shopping. Buying a summery top or a cute bag will make me extremely happy. I love when it’s a stifling hot day and immediately cooling down as I enter Starbucks and ordering my signature drink, a mocha frappuccino. I love sitting outside in a restaurant for lunch, and watching the people go past, all enjoying the summer sun, all happy and smiling, as am I.

I love the spontaneity of summer: putting on a summer dress, sunglasses perched on the top of my head, slipping into a pair of ballet flats, applying some last minute strawberry lipgloss as I take a final glance at myself in the mirror before leaving the house, going wherever my feet take me. I adore London in the summer. I love spending a lazy afternoon in Hyde Park, browsing a market or exploring side streets, having lunch by the south bank, visiting a museum or art gallery, taking an evening walk by the Thames…

In summer, I feel as if I have all the time in the world. Time to relax, to take it slow. An infinite amount of time to chat to my best friend as we sit by the river, talking about everything under the sun: from conversations about gossip girl and clothes to aspirations for our futures, not having to glance at my watch once. There's time to do those things that you wanted to do during the year but never quite managed to get around to it: meeting an old friend, tidying that dusty section of the wardrobe, read that book you’ve been meaning to read for years, time to reflect on anything and everything. Or time to be able to not think about anything at all. There truly is an endless possibility of things to do and enjoy in summer. To me, summer is the season when everything is possible, it’s when I’m free, when I’m the happiest. The need for daydreaming vanishes. Maybe it's because I'm awfully content with reality during what I think is the most wonderful time of the year.